View Single Post
      09-30-2012, 07:04 AM   #7
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuhshietfu View Post
Ok so my new M3 showed oil level at minimum level add 1 qrt message today. It came on at about 850 miles only which I thought was a bit odd. Did a quick search on forum and seems to be quite common that m3 eats oil.

So I looked in the manual and it said 5W-30 was ok to add. So I got some Castrol 5w-30 and added in a quart. I noticed right away the engine didn't sound as throaty on the way home...
http://www.autobarn.net/castrol-edge...Fcmd4Aodv3kAdA

Then I did some more reading and found out that The M supplement manual says to use something completely different!!! Now I'm like freaking out b/c tmrw is sunday and dealer wont be available till Monday and I'm not fully due for my 1200 service yet. Plus I don't even have an appt. Car says I still got 190 miles to go! Crap!

What should I do? will the car be ok to drive? should I get it drained and put i new oil ASAP?? What to DO??
OMG!!!!! Better evacuate your city!!!!!! Alert the government !!!! Go to DEFCON 2 !!!!!! Hide your children and change your identity !!!!!!

Sorry......couldn't resist !!!!!!

In all seriousness, please think for a minute what your oil is actually doing. It is a lubricant. It is not some magical fluid. It is also only one quart out or 9-10. In fact, you could use everyday garden variety motor oil if you wanted. It's physical properties, however, would cause it to burn up pretty fast in a high revving, high compression engine like the M3's. You would have to add/change oil much more frequently, but if you were willing to do oil changes every 1000 miles and add a quart in between, use copious amounts of injector cleaner and carbon cleaning solvents in your fuel, it would still work.

I am puzzled, however over the OP's question, and here's why:

A car like the M3 is clearly an enthusiast vehicle. I am willing to bet that there isn't a single person on the planet that has been cross shopping an M3 and a Toyota Camry. One would think that someone looking to own an M3 would have some basic degree of knowledge about cars/engines, etc. etc. If not, then why the interest in a car like this?

I am not sure I fully understand

Last edited by LarThaL; 09-30-2012 at 07:09 AM..
Appreciate 0