View Single Post
      08-06-2009, 02:47 PM   #13
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixspeed J View Post
Are you saying I should buy private party and forget the dealership?
Of course not; I was just stating my opinion. Buying from a dealership has its advantages, especially if car is certified (which you should DEMAND, for the additional warranty).

When you're as picky as me, I want to make sure car was pampered by original owner, plus you can have each and every question you have answered by the owner. You can easily tell if an owner pampered his/her car, and the trunk is a good place to start. But when car is traded in, it's hard to know where car has been... and how has been treated. Expensive cars are usually 'wholesaled' when traded on a different brand, then sometimes auctioned off, etc. You can imagine how people are going to drive an M3 they know are going to be selling in a week or two. This is especially bothersome with a manual transmission, which is what I like. So the first thing you want to make sure is car was traded-in at that dealership, and asking for the title can confirm that.

And finally, I wouldn't try to contact a previous owner with a car traded in; they'd probably not going to help you anyway. I meant buying from an original owner advertising on Ebay, forum classifieds, etc. Plus you should be able to buy it cheaper, atlhough not certified (which by itself adds like 2 grand). Good luck man.
Appreciate 0