View Single Post
      08-07-2008, 07:43 AM   #34
ben@tirerack
M3Post Supporting Vendor
Rep
Drives: 740i

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcarajo View Post
The tire width I understand, but not the wheelsize. The tire diameter and circumference remain the same, so why does the amount of rubber between rim and road matter?

Not arguing or being a smartass. I've heard it before, so I'm presuming there's truth to it... I just don't get it.
+1 to chris719 on cost of wheels. Cost of tires is also a factor, 18" tires are usually less expensive than 19" tires.

Smaller diameter wheels often have narrower widths, allowing a narrower tire.

Another reason is that winter roads usually have more potholes, and a smaller wheel with a taller tire is less likely to be damaged by a pothole (more rubber between wheel and road to absorb impact).

Not all of these factors apply in every case, and you can certainly get a good winter package without changing wheel diameter, but the smaller diameter is often preferred.

Last edited by ben@tirerack; 08-07-2008 at 07:49 AM.. Reason: A 19' tire would be awfully big ;)
Appreciate 0