Drives: Lots of M cars

Garage List
2016 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
2000 BMW M Roadster  [0.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
2014 VW GLI  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by The1 View Post
AV and TV are both great ways to help you learn how the camera works without putting you in the deep end. P is also a good mode to shoot in. It is sort of a preset auto mode that you have some minor control over, but if you watch the aperture settings and the shutter speed settings, you'll get to know what affects will occur at different settings.

I think AV might be most helpful for you with shooting jewlery as you'll be messing with the depth of field a lot to get parts of the ring, or all of the ring in focus, but you're going to need a tripod, or at least something very steady to lean the camera against.

But overall, the top things i would recommend for you are:

Never ever shoot in automatic mode again as best as you can.

Put the camera in RAW (that's under the quality settings) or RAW and Jpeg

take the camera out of automatic focus and only choose what focus point you want

Take the ISO setting off of Automatic and put it where it needs to be, the camera makes up some interesting numbers sometimes.

do lots of reading on how aperture, ISO, and shutter speed work together

don't be afraid to ask questions or post pictures to get feedback, ignor rediculous comments and concentrate on constructive ones. It doesn't matter if a picture is good or bad, but what matters is how you can improve it.

Turn on blinking highlights on your picture review in the camera settings, it's quite handy

learn how to read a histogram (it kind of goes with the blinking highlights for usefull information)

If in doubt, take multiple shots of the same thing with different settings. choose witch you like most later, and learn from what settings you used for those photos.

If anyone can add to that, please do, that's just what i could do off the top of my head. I'll keep thinking for any i missed.
Thanks for clarifying things for me. I put the camera in RAW for future shoots. I need to do some research on ISO because I'm still unclear what exactly it does. I played with the camera tonight to familiarize myself with how to change shutter speed, ISO, etc. In my next post, I'm going to put up a few more pictures that I'm a little uncertain about.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy734 View Post
Well, Av and Tv give you more control than the Auto mode. In instances where you want to control the aperture or the shutter speed, you would use Av and Tv modes, respectively. You can use either, but it makes more sense to use Av for pretty much any shooting where you don't care about the shutter speed as much.

If you're shooting F1 racing, football, etc you want to make sure the objects are in focus and not blurred, so you may care about shutter speed. That's when you use Tv. If you're shooting non/slow-moving objects, assuming you have enough light, changing your shutter speed from 1/100s to 1/500s doesn't give you much. However, changing from f/11 to f/4 does. It all depends on your composition as well. Sometimes you want a small aperture if you want the background to be clear, but other times you want the background to be out of focus as much as possible, so you choose a wide open aperture.

This is just one of many parameters... you should also be thinking of DoF, focal lengths, ISOs, etc as well. It gets complicated, but start out simple and expand your knowledge by reading and with practice.

In all honesty, you should check out the Zack Azaria videos I posted here for a good tutorial:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=316
I understand the difference between Av and Tv now. I really appreciate the videos and the book (which I still need to finish reading) that you've given me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
I don't see any need to switch from Av to Tv or vice versa when going from stills to fast. There's a direct relationship between the aperture and shutter speed and you can see it in the viewfinder. If you're in Av mode and want to raise the shutter speed, then you either increase the aperture or raise the ISO. The opposite happens in Tv mode. Just be aware and always look at your final settings in the viewfinder.

Dave
I seem to have a general understanding of Av and Tv. But I really need to apply what I've learned and see how my photos come out. Maybe tomorrow I'll call up my friend and see if he'll let me shoot his car.
Appreciate 0