Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 M3 DCT

Garage List
2008 BMW E90 M3  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsweet View Post
for the GT3
I would be interested to know if there are ways to mod to M3 to keep it running cooler on the track. Or is it something you have to live just better engine design in the GT3 ?
One thing that help on the GT3 (I'm no mechanic so just speaking out of common sense) is that the engine in the GT3 is exposed underneath the car. The M3 engine is trapped from both top and bottom. I suspect the heat gets stuck in the M3 and basically heat soak the engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Plutonium View Post
The larger oil cooler form M24 helps a lot. I saw a difference of 25 degrees. Chris (CBS) just had it installed and will be tracking with it all season; I'm sure he can chime-in as well. It's on the pricy side, but well worth it if you track a lot. I believe Keith (Klammer) is running one as well.

http://ind-distribution.com/blog/?p=806
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbone View Post
I should mention that Ti-Jean's car has aftermarket cooling and it's not doing much for him.

I'll let him know about this thread and see if he can comment.

I'd love to hear their experience. I have a similar setup custom built and it did nothing for me as far as preventing overheating. Basically, I have an additional inline oil cooler (like the M24) and replaced the DCT cooler with one 2.5 times bigger. I did lots of dyno testing to see if the location of the additional oil cooler matters but it doesn't seem like it. Only difference for me is that, when I overheat, all I need to do is pull back just a bit (lets say short shift between 6k-7k RPM) and I can see the temp needle drop. In short, it helps recover from overheating very fast but doesn't prevent overheating.

What I really wanted is something that lets me redline all day without overheating. I got that with my GT3 but not the M3.
Appreciate 0