View Single Post
      03-16-2014, 05:22 PM   #8
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

I spent a much longer time and miles in a 2013 ATS 2.0T (auto trans) and 2-weeks later in a 2012 BMW 335i (AT non-sport package). Both cars had under 20,000 miles on them. Both were dealer loaners. I had both cars over 7 days and drove each over 950 miles on my normal commute (170 miles/day) that I've driven my E90 325i over 200,000 miles on (so I know the roads quite well). The roads I drive consist of excellent central Virginia mountain roads, some straight dual-lane highway, and Route 66 into Northern Virginia with out traffic and with heavy traffic.

I found the ATS a much, much better driver's car than the 335i. Yup, the 335i was faster, but the 8-speed shifts too much on the back roads and the manual shift just doesn't match a true 3-pedal car (both the ATS and BMW). And yeah the I6 turbo is a powerful engine, but it has none of the magic of a BMW NA I6; the engine is either on or off, combined with the trans, it sucks IMO, and combined with the standard 335i suspension, just a poor driver's car.

Now the ATS, it found it far better handling, and more dynamic on back-country roads; its a car that BMW used to build. The ATS I had felt more connected and more controllable than the 335i.

As far as the interiors, I'm not much on video screens and I-drive crap; I really just don't see the point. The I-drive is the better system; the CUE is not useable when the car is in motion. Cadillac, like all GM cars, doesn't dim the dash lights enough for me. Out on a dark back-country road it makes a difference.

Soon afterwards I test drove a 320i w/sport package (closer to the ATS 2.0T pricing) and the ATS was FAR SUPERIOR to that version of the F30.

That's my review. I've been driving a BMW 3-series as a DD since 1988 and have over 450,000 miles behind the wheel of various 3-ers.

I'll take the ATS. And I think GM reliability is better than BMW, many reports confirm this as well.
Appreciate 0