First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e46 M3, e46 M3 CSL

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdiver68 View Post
Some of you 'M' fanboi's people make me laugh.

BMW made a world-beating car with the 335i. We expected a world beating car with the M3, and so far there have been several disappointments, including the fact that you can take a 335i to the same level of equipment and performance as the M3 for $15K less well equipped. Argue all you want about that fact, please someone tell me how a 415 hp/295 TQ 'M' suspension modded M3 beats a 440hp/440tq suspension, wheels and LSD-modded 335i? Not going to happen, even if the M3 is underrated by 20HP. SAME CAR, different engine technology, less power in the M3. Swamp pitch in here because you claim the modded 335<the M3 in most performance measures....

In the meantime, now we hear the M3 runs N'ring times comparable or slightly better than the 911S. Encouraging! And how the 911S is the 'real' target. So, for the same money do I buy an M3 or a GT-R? The GT-R beats the 911TT! If you don't need a back seat the 'Vette, Cayman S, and Exige can play in this realm as well.

Or do we take the angle of the luxury coupe/sedan. The C63 has been tuned to handle by all accounts, and the CTS-V is strongly rumored to have 600HP, again at the same price points. Or the modded 335i

I did a 2 yr lease on my 335i because I knew about these next generation cars. I have no loyalty to the 335i other than in the objective facts.

What I want is for the 'M' car to be special, nothing more, nothing less. I've been in the enthusiast, track, and racing game way too long to be blinded by a badge.
Well written, and valuable points. I really do like this comment, because it points out what a lot of people are not saying. The M3 is great, but some disappointments have also been observed. And what it appears, is that the
M3 has moved from a sports coupe, to become more of a GT. And the true sports coupe will be the CSL as additional model.

However, after all of this, how often do you actually race your 335 or M3 on the track? How often do you go full throttle in daily traffic?
Personally, I rarely or almost never drive quickly in the city, and only accelerate fast when going on a highway. And then on the backcourntry roads, I enjoy cornering almost more than acceleration.

But I love the looks, I love the engine sounds, and the simple feel of the M3, that the 335 lacks when you sit behind a wheel.
But at the end of the day, the M3 is more of an all-rounder than a true sports car, because the CSL will do that job. And thatīs just fine by me.

Best regards,

CSL
Appreciate 0