08-28-2009, 11:23 AM   #23
rdwest
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 Silverstone E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLud View Post
JC, you and I have had numerous discussions back and forth in PM, so I think I have a pretty good idea of where you're coming from. Based on everything we've talked about, every system out there will involve some trade offs for you, including the stock one. That being the case, you might be best off just powdercoating (not painting) the stock mufflers and calling it a day.
  • AA: Your original post suggests that you're willing to broaden your requirements to include exhausts that have a little more noise than stock below 2,500 rpm, but are as quiet as stock above that. Every aftermarket exhaust will be at least a little louder than stock below 2,500, but based on our discussions, I am certain that the AA is too loud down low for more aurally sensitive guys like you and me.
  • Bastuck: I think the original version for our cars might be perfect for you in terms of sound (many have complained that it is too quiet), but the appearance of the big barrel-shaped one-piece muffler isn't much of an improvement over stock. The new Bastuck looks much better, but might be a bit louder than you want (you'll have to listen to it to be sure though).
  • Borla: I've never heard a Borla setup that didn't have insane levels of drone.
  • Corsa: All reports suggest pretty bad drone on this one too.
  • Dinan: As we've discussed, I think this has the perfect sound for you, but you're not a fan of the black tips or Dinan's treatment of potential customers. Based on what they did to you, I don't blame you on the latter.
  • Eisenmann Sport: Expensive (especially with the connecting pipes), heavier than stock, and the two big mufflers hang down a bit more than you'd probably like.
  • Remus Sport: Sounds like there might be a bit of drone in exactly the wrong rpm range. You'd want to confirm in person, but if so, that's probably a deal killer.

There are a couple of other options that might work for you, but are far more expensive than you're looking to spend.

Btw, the Dinan is essentially a straight-through design, but doesn't drone higher up. Perhaps this is due to the use of only one functional tip per muffler.
I'm sorta in the same boat as the original. I've seen one post in another location that suggest the AA drones at 2500, 3000 and 4000. Have you heard any of this. Also, has anyone ever combined x pipes with dissimilar rear exhaust and if so, that was the result?