04-30-2008, 02:11 PM   #10
consolidated
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tszene View Post
I just got back from two days of track with my e92 M3. The course was relatively fast, in the back straight you reached top speed of 140mls/h, after which you had a bus stop at 60 mls/h. The brakes didn't last. I experienced brake fade by the end of the first session. And by the 6th session, the brakes warped. So before you go on the track, look into getting different pads, or even upgrade to a set of dinan brakes and that will not void your warranty. However, dinan doesn't have brakes for the m3 yet, but ask if the brakes ment for the 335i fit. As far as the suspension, if you're a novice you dont necessarily need any adjustments just yet, the car handles amazing.
Have fun!
Even great street brakes fade at the track. I've replaced my Cayman S stock brakes with track pads and then just replaced the entire front end with a Brembo BBK, much improved.
Likely the street pads just got overheated and transferred material to the rotors, I've done this before. Get a set of track pads which will be more abrasive and go for a spirited drive, but don't overstress them. You'll likely start to see darker spotting on the rotor which will slowly go away along with the pulsing. It's nearly impossible to warp large two-piece rotors.
Street pads just don't work on the track, unless your just tooling around.
Appreciate 0