04-04-2011, 08:19 AM   #86
Verbiage
Dismembered Member
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: F80 ZCP 6MT, R55 Clubman S 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredwlau View Post
I don't think an m5/6 with any mods to the exhaust sounds close to any ferrari or lamborghini. I'm not saying they sound bad but the two sounds are completely different and the magnitude of the loudness coming from a ferrari is unimaginable until you've heard one accelerate. When the butterfly valves are closed inside the ferraris exhaust, it's about the same decibel as the 5/6, but when the valves open, the sound literally resonates like you would not believe. When they open inside city blocks, you could probably hear the car CLEARLY within a 10 block radius. The same cannot be said for the BMW v10

The first time I heard a Scuderia accelerate I was shocked and speechless because I was accustomed to the usual bmw performance cars and their tuned exhausts such as the 335i, m3/5/6 as I had heard all of them before. The v10 just sounds stupidly hollow compared to the exotics. A ferrari owner explained to me that the reason there is such a vast difference in the levels of sound is because the gas has a lot less distance to travel before exiting the pipes (mid engine car) and also many of the exhaust pipes in other performance cars have a 90 degree turn at one point or another whereas this is not the case for the ferrari scuderia.

This is not to say that the m5 sounds bad or is a bad car as it is not, but in terms of sound, it's just not on the same level.

An example:

I was not impressed by this. Sorry. Not saying the Ferrari sounds bad, but this video did a horrible job of capturing its essence, and didn't support your argument in the least. The video I posted was a straight pipe V10, which sounds amazing, and I still say it sounds awesome; even, dare I say, close to an exotic.

That driver probably didn't even bring it past 5K rpm. C'mon dude.

My delivery experience and beach photoshoot here.
Appreciate 0