03-25-2011, 04:56 PM   #5
mrad01
First Lieutenant
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by titan7 View Post
First post, selling my 08 535i on Monday, want to get a new M3 as it's the last of the NA V8s.

Soooo, I have a short commute to work, 2.5 miles each way. Any downside to the 6sp trans? I don't mind spending the $$ on DCT but I am just trying to decide which will be the better long term trans. I have not been in a stick for 16 years. Driving with coffee in hand in the morning will need to change ; )
Can of worms - almost not worth asking on this forum. You will get hard core supporters on both sides and be just as confused as when you started.

If you want an "automatic" - then the DCT (while actually a manual) is closer to an auto from a user interface point of view - so you could keep your coffee in hand.
I have driven both on road and on track and the 6sp is a fantastic gearbox, pairs up with the NA V8 very well, low tech and precise. The DCT is all high tech and very impressive. So both good in their own way.

Some will say the DCT all the way, others will say that it isn't as "engaging" to drive as the 6sp. It will go back and forward for about 6 pages I suspect....

1990 BMW e30 325i 5MT
Appreciate 0