03-18-2011, 03:44 PM   #100
OC3
Havin' a blast!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 E92 Jerez Blk DCT ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by erhanh View Post
It is fun to watch, I'm yet to accomplish a long enough one. Still working on it. Tomorrow will be the first day I'll take the M3 to track. I have a feeling it is easier to control it than Z4 MC.

Back to the point, I'm not sure messing with clutch is a good way to upset the balance of the car and hence start a drift. Aren't you suppose to be done with your braking and shifting before you corner? I take the drifting as a way of cornering.
There are many different techniques for initiating drifts and, on manual tranny, clutch-kick is used quite often (pulling the e-brake, after stepping on the clutch, being the other common techique). Clutch-kick (while on throttle) at 2nd or 3rd gear is similar to reving at standstill in 1st gear and dropping the clutch, except you're obviously doing it while moving (and, w/ steering wheel turned). Say you're on 2nd gear at 5,000 rpm, while remaining on throttle, you step on the clutch & release it quickly (hence, "kick"). The moment you step on the clutch, the rpm shoots up. The engine rotational speed now is much higher than the wheel rotational speed. Then, you release the clutch and now the engine and tranny re-engage and the wheels now suddenly lose grip because they're shocked into a sudden increase in rotational speed. And, because the steering wheel was turned, the tailend comes out nicely. Works really well on M3's (DSC turned off, of course).

DCT's obviously not having a driver-kickable clutch, (again, w/ DSC turned off) you just turn and get on the throttle. How much throttle depends on the situation, but when done right, you'll get the tailend coming out just as nicely. This guy is in a DCT M3:

BRP 1:56 | CVR 2:01 | ACS 1:53 | WSIR 1:34

Last edited by OC3; 03-18-2011 at 05:05 PM..
Appreciate 0