View Single Post
      01-28-2011, 08:04 PM   #52
B R A N D X®
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Fast Cars!

I just went from an '09 997.2 Carrera S to a 2011 M3 ZCP.

I had dreamed of owning a 911 since my neighbor bought one brand new in Carrera White when I was 13. I simply fell in love with that car at first sight.

Before buying my Carrera I had owned many BMW's including a couple of E46 M3's.

When I posed the question here about selling my Carrera S and buying an M3 it seemed that most E9X M3 owners thought I was crazy, that I was taking a step backwards.

For me, however, the dream of owning a 911 was better than the actual ownership experience. No mechanical or electrical issues with the 911 and i *did* enjoy driving it very much....I simply enjoy the M3 more.

The 911's are fantastic and I wouldn't discourage anyone from buying one, but you need to make sure you prefer the entire Porsche layout and overall experience versus that of the M3 before making a move.

One word of advice: Whereas I love my E90 M3 with the DCT, if you go Carrera, for God's sake go manual tranny and not PDK. The 911 is a car best enjoyed with three pedals!
YMMV!

P.S. If you ever do buy a Carrera buy a used one like This One. In 18 months of garaged and carefully maintained ownership and with a mere 6500 miles on the odo.....with not a single chip or scratch.....my '09 C2S went from its sticker price of just over $95K (selling price of $87,500.00) to a private party selling price of $68,000.....which I was fortunate to actually get for it.

Best trade in quote was $66,000.00. That's a mighty big depreciation hit if you ask me and I've done way more buying and selling than would be considered healthy by most folks!
"A toast then: To the BMW M3, the greatest all-around car in the world."
-Arthur St. Antoine, Motor Trend Magazine's Editor at Large

Last edited by B R A N D X®; 01-28-2011 at 08:27 PM..
Appreciate 0