09-21-2010, 09:51 PM   #25
M3V8Driver
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 - DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by rldzhao View Post
You, my friend, need some mechanical engineering education.

If you somehow think your car's operating life is shortened by being jacked up, don't even bother driving your car.

And what are you trying to say about race cars? These race cars are subjected to a tremendous amount of static, dynamic, and impact loads that are way beyond what our cars are designed for. That's why they are replaced after a few seasons (and the sponsors pay for it). Can you pull a lateral 1.5G every corner?
You guys need to lighten up. Geeze. All I'm saying is, if there's a chance to avoid causing any sort of harm, no matter how meager or how far in the future it may rear its ugly head, then why not do so? Putting a quart of inferior oil in your engine won't kill it, but may take a few miles off its longevity, so why do it? And if there's a chance to make working on cars that much easier, then why not do so?

This is the "track" section of this forum, so I suspect most here are more in-tune with their cars than those who spend the majority of their form time in the "cosmetic section (not that there's anything wrong with that). If you're like me, you take every opportunity to track your car you can get. Since I instruct with several organizations, opportunity knocks often After many years of tracking one car, you start to notice things that aren't right, and wouldn't be present if it werent for years of track use. Pulling 1.5g in every corner is entirly possible, especially with r-comp tires. Anyway...

I used to build and race cars, including a national championship winning car, so I know about what all they're subject to, and I know that details do matter. Not trying to start a "know-it-all" war, just trying to illustrate where I'm coming from.

Cheers,