View Single Post
      08-28-2010, 12:25 PM   #27
warzilla
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, f31 330, f31 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazy4m3 View Post
The unveiling of the 1 series M coupe is imminent and if indeed it's equipped w/ an uprated version of the N54 engine, it has the possibility of unseating the M3 as the most desirable M car in the BMW lineup because of that engine's tunability. My only concern is that the tendency of the 135i to understeer at the limit will still not be exorcised in the M version and that it won't come with EDC to make it even more versatile. We all know that it will only be equipped with a proper 6-sp manual so no DCT for the car.
Here is the link for some pictures of the partially uncovered orange-colored 1 series M coupe: http://www.bimmerfile.com/2010/08/27...w-1m-revealed/
Let's hear what you guys have to say about the pros and cons about 1 series M coupe vs the e90/e92 M3.

Phil
In direct response to your post:

pros of the 1M:
- will be cheaper then the M3
- lighter (by 200lbs. I know, not so big but still its 200lbs)
- will be as quick as the M3, but not as fast on higher speeds
- will have ability to be tuned (basically its a BMW tuned 135i with parts/pieces and a computer engine upgrade)
- good for peeps who don't want to buy the M3, which technically is the lowest hanging M car sold by BMW

cons of the 1M:
- gonna be expensive for what it is (if the 335is fully loaded is 59k, what will this thing cost?)
- Its basically using the N54 engine, which is going to come with the same problems all N54 cars have - ie HPFP
- You can buy a used 135i, mod it, spend less money and get the same amount of performance (minus the cool suspension stuff and quad exhaust the 1M will have)
- FI < NA

As a current M3 owner, I wouldn't buy the 1M. If I still didn't have the M3, I probably still wouldn't still buy the 1M. For what I think they will sell it for, it makes not sense to me. Too many other great cars (ie M3, Cayman S) that can be hand at that price. Again, I am interested to see what its performance levels are and what people will say about it once it comes to the market. But I'm sort of feeling its like the 335is but in the 1-series footprint....good car, but if its close to price of the M3, why not just get the M3?

2006 M3 ZHP in IB (Crashed) | 2005 M3 ZHP in IB (Sold)
2004 M3 in IR - Current
2018 330ix Wagon - Current
2017 328d Wagon - Current
Appreciate 0