07-26-2010, 07:21 PM   #85
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
As far as I know, swamp, it is considered official that for ZCP cars the EDC Sport Mode was revised to be active instead of fixed, and MDM DSC mode is revised to allow more slippage/yaw before intervening. The details of the EDC change have been discussed with specifics but I don't remember the numbers. I am not sure if anything specific is known about the MDM changes as far as quantitative figures go.
I am actually surprised that even that much detail would be released by BMW. They are much more likely to just use some imprecise flowery language and say "improved MDM for greater driving dynamics"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Other than this, there are no other changes. So, assuming this acceleration test and prior such tests were run with launch control on, the DSC change would not be a factor (LC requires DSC off, and can not be used in MDM mode). Not sure if that was the case though. EDC changes may or may not have been a factor either - depends on whether this test and previous tests were done in Sport mode or not (my guess is that previously they were typically done in normal mode).

Recent changes to the M-DCT software could in theory also play a role in acceleration times, though there's nothing to suggest that this is necessarily the case, and no way to know for certain.
It can only really be speculation. But let me add some other comments.

-EDC = comfort should be theoretically best for drag times - a softer rear suspension with less damping. The effect would be small either way.
-Even though launch control requries DSC off I do believe that the clutch, throttle and rear wheel spin is somewhat managed by computer during launch. I could be mistaken.
-DCT software is almost for sure different in this car than the prior best performing DCT cars in our "database". Again probably small differences but each one can add up.
-Depending on what other magazines show, I'm certainly prepared to admit that these numbers might be outliers in some sense. Obviously, I'm not prepared to admit C&D cheated, had bad equipment or lied.

On a loosely related note I sure would like to get the revised DSC software... Maybe a vendor can pull this off? IIRC your vehicle software has to be uploaded in its entirety.
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
Appreciate 0