Steved
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 CSL, AMG ML63, B7 RS4 Avant

Quote:
Originally Posted by ward
neither an M3 or M5 is a proper comparison to a F430

F430 is more expensive than either, faster than both, and less practical than both.

M3 even in CSL trim would be a stretch to compare to the F430

People choose different types of cars for all different reasons and status sometimes doesn't have anything to do with it. Up until 6 months ago my Ferrari dealer had £5k of my money as deposit against a new F430 Coupe. I decided not to buy it because I was getting screwed around on the waiting list (2 years, then 3 years, then 4...) and I had this nagging feeling that most prospective buyers were shallow minded loons who just bought the next best Ferrari to show off. Which is not me.

Even though I cuold buy a F430 I still find myself conscious of the value I would gain from doing so, how often I'd use it and the trend for most Ferrari owners to hardly use their cars (for fear of depreciation). I have an E92 CSL on order and have no doubt that it will achieve most of what the F430 can do whilst being a heck of a lot more usable.

I wouldn't worry about status amongst BMW ranks (M3 vs M5), I own 4 BMWs, all conveying a different status; a 4.8is X5, and M3 CSL which cost the same, an Alpina Roadster S and a Mini Cooper S Works. So I don't care if someone in an M6 sees me in my Z4 based Alpina and thinks I'm beneath them. I'll content myself with just enjoying my cars.
Appreciate 0