12-30-2006, 05:33 AM   #19
wnston1127
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by user1
Thats not how it works in the US. You can be ticketed for anything - a ticket isn’t an admission of guilt. So not saying anything doesn’t mean the officer will just have to walk away without ticketing.

There are many ways an officer can prove speeding including radar/laser, pacing, dash cam, etc. An officer doesnt need you to admit anything. The reason an officer asks those questions is to set a tone, see if you admit to something other than the infraction ("you pulled me over because of the dead body in my trunk") and to begin informing the speeder of his infraction. Asking the question is not to try and trap the person. Admitting speeding isnt enough for a ticket to hold up against a good lawyer in court.

In fact being polite and answering the questions makes it more likely the officer will give you a warning or reduce the ticket.

As an officer they are under oath to tell the truth and, as such, the court will always believe an officer over a civilian unless the civilian brings proof. The officer doesnt need a witness (another officer present at the scene).

hhkim, if you are going to fight it or even want to know all your options you have in your city, get a lawyer. Dont take legal advice from people online.

lol, well up here in canada, during the few weeks when we're not covered in snow, and i happen to get pulled over by just one officer, I keep quite, answer his questions with I'm not quite sure, I get stared down for a couple of seconds but in the end they just walk away
Appreciate 0