Drives: 01 330ci; 07 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnston1127
how many cops were there?
if there was only 1, you shouldn't of said anything
usually if theres 1 cop, they ask you either:
1) do you know how fast you were going
2) do you know why I pulled you over
most cases most people would say they were speeding and that theyre sorry and that's where they get us, if theres only one cop, its there word against yours, so they can't ticket you unless you admit to it, hence why they ask you those questions first. if there are two cops however, one of them counts as a "witness" so they don't need to get you to admit to it, they can just ticket you without any problems
so if there was only 1 cop, you can try to deny it in court if you've got the balls
Thats not how it works in the US. You can be ticketed for anything - a ticket isn’t an admission of guilt. So not saying anything doesn’t mean the officer will just have to walk away without ticketing.

There are many ways an officer can prove speeding including radar/laser, pacing, dash cam, etc. An officer doesnt need you to admit anything. The reason an officer asks those questions is to set a tone, see if you admit to something other than the infraction ("you pulled me over because of the dead body in my trunk") and to begin informing the speeder of his infraction. Asking the question is not to try and trap the person. Admitting speeding isnt enough for a ticket to hold up against a good lawyer in court.

In fact being polite and answering the questions makes it more likely the officer will give you a warning or reduce the ticket.

As an officer they are under oath to tell the truth and, as such, the court will always believe an officer over a civilian unless the civilian brings proof. The officer doesnt need a witness (another officer present at the scene).

hhkim, if you are going to fight it or even want to know all your options you have in your city, get a lawyer. Dont take legal advice from people online.
Appreciate 0