Mark
Administrator
Rep
Drives: 1M

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pharmacist_ View Post
+1

The horsepower/displacement war didn't have too much life left in the near future, as the potential for gain has decreased significantly over the last few years in the entry level segment.

As Zell noted, this will challenge automakers to produce lighter, more efficient performance oriented cars. These are what engineers thrive on, and we will see some great products will minimal if any loss on the performance/fun side.

Guys have some faith in innovation. You could look at it either way, but to me this is a very exciting time where we could return to lighter more tossable options.
Agreed! I think we are past the point of where high horesepower wins. Most of the horsepower and torque cars produce these days are completly wasted and not actually useable.

BMW has always been about innovation and the new technical challenges are definitly in trying to maintain the current levels of comfort, quality, safety and performance in a lighter and more efficient package. I have faith that BMW is far ahead of the pack and is turning the ship in the right direction to tackle the future.

None of this is to say BMW is not capable of producing amazing high performance M cars, etc.. but I don't see the two as mutually exclusive and a car company can produce both high power vehicles and light weight efficient vehicles at the same time...