View Single Post
      04-13-2009, 08:39 AM   #22
M3 Montreal
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 SG ,DCT & 2011 S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammedm3 View Post
I've come to learn quite a bit about the whole warranty issues because it was a major concern of mine when doing my AA Software Upgrade as well.

The warranty really comes down to your dealerership/service people. I have heard horror stories of people being denied warranty claims because of an exhaust or even something as dumb as a aftermarket air filter. But thats just a ridiculous dealership, and luckily, in my area we don't have any of these kinds of situations. If you know your dealership is STRICT and tends to give problems about an exhaust, then I would maybe stay away from the Software Upgrade.

But having said that, it is not detectable by BMW - unless your ECU is sent to BMW in Germany and analyzed there. BMW service doesn't have access to read your ECU or to see if anything has been changed or altered. The only way they will know you have it is if you opt for the 6MT Launch Control (available as an option from AA when doing their upgrade). If your tech decides to rev the car past 4000rpm, he will notice that the car won't pass 4000rpm and these will raise questions. But...How likely is your tech to sit in your car at a stand still, and rev it up PAST 4000rpm? Not very!
+1

And to be honest I have NEVER seen or heard of any dealer refusing warranty over an exhaust. Maybe on a Japanese manufacturer after reading all the horror stories with the GTR warranty. Ive NEVER EVER heard of ANY issues on American and German.

2011 B8 S4 S-Tronic , Black on magma red
Appreciate 0