View Single Post
      03-22-2009, 05:28 PM   #112
E82tt6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 Black Saphire Z4 MC

I agree 100% in terms of weight.

If they built a 3000-3100lb 1 series I'd buy it regardless of HP or straightline acceleration. Something basically an E36 M3 clone in fun-to-drive, with braking/grip on par or superior to an E90 M3, and straightline power similar to a 135i+SSTT/JB+ would be an excellent car, IMHO.

I generally like my streetcars to trap in the 111-118 range for DDing, I think that's comfortable. I don't think the car will be quite that fast stock, but if it could get there with very minor tweaks, I'd be completely satisfied.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoosyJoos View Post
Well I get the feeling I'm mostly alone here but I do a lot of autocross so that might explain a lot of it. I'm assuming that the new 1series M will focus extensively on weight savings. If they can take a significant amount of weight out of the car by going to a 4 cylinder while increasing efficiency I'm all for it.

I personally have the feeling that lighter weight = better sports car. In my mind cars are plenty fast these days in a straight line. I'd much rather see them address handling by reducing weight. Like I said though, I think most people are just power hungry... and there is nothing wrong with that but if you are lucky enough to drive an old e30 or e36 M3 I don't find it exactly lacking in power.

I also think you are absolutely right about it possibly over stepping the M3 if they kept a 6 cylinder in there. Lets remember that BMW is clearly a business... and they'll do whats in their best interest to build shareholder value which often means compromising their products to achieve the best monetary results.

Either way I'm stoked for a 1 series M variant with proper cooling, less weight, wider track, slightly more efficiency and a sweet 4 banger!
Appreciate 0