12-06-2008, 05:50 AM   #270
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma View Post
Neither of those apply to the M3. BMW clearly can sell larger disp cars if they want, well, because they already do.

If I were buying a race car, point 2 would apply. The M3 isn't a race car, not even close. You know race cars have stripped interriors, cages, fire supression, ... BMW might make a race car version of the street car and then that would have its own seperate issues.

It it a good engine, yes. Is it the best, nope. Just because BMW builds something doesn't make it without fault.
Not a good argument at all. Hmmm they can make all of their cars large displacement because they do make some of them large displacement. Talk about a non sequitur. Generally with BMW their largest engines are relegated to their largest, most luxurious and most expensive cars. The displacement thing is absolutely a factor for the M3. If it was 4.0 liters or greater it would make the price significantly higher resulting in making it significantly less attractive and affordable. There could be an issue as well about the displacement from a racing perspective. I don't know all of the classes that M3s race in and what all of those rules are, but it could be a factor. Either way I certainly don't believe nor did I imply the production M3 is a race car.

I do not posit that the M3s V8 is the "best engine" nor do I believe it is good simply because it is made by BMW. I have said time and time again the RS4s V8 was much more innovative for its time. It was revolutionary for a German sports sedan at the time whereas the M3 is really just the M5 with two cylinders lopped off. The M3 V8 absolutely should have had DI and the US version should have got BER like it did in Europe. That being said I do think it is one of the finest engines (and cars) around for for its combination of quality/style/materials/performance/usability/etc. all per dollar. The engines powerband is amazingly broad, perhaps unmatched, and driving it in its upper rpm ranges is so emotionally engaging and satisfying.
Appreciate 0