10-08-2008, 11:32 PM   #165
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce.augenstein@comcast. View Post
Good post - and given our history, that's not empty praise.

What if it's doing equally cool stuff down the straights?

I've read that the car can apply up to 98% of full torque to the rear wheels, so what if it does that under full acceleration (assuming near-zero wheelslip) whenever it's not pulling lateral Gs? If that is the case, the car's roughly 410-420 HP dyno numbers come up closer to the factory number when corrected for a normal 2wd factor of 85%. It would also be quicker down any and all straights than one would otherwise suppose - including the drag strip. That, combined with the ability to mat the throttle at or before each apex, would help explain those extraordinary track times.

Bruce
Thanks Bruce.

I not only think it could do this fairly simple thing on the straights but I suspect it is likely that it is doing so.

I don't know much about the pre face lifted AWD Porsches. Before the 2008 variant the AWD system was an in house designed twin wet clutch system. It is certainly capable of shifting power F to R and L to R but the devil is in the details as to how much power can go where, how quickly it can be adjusted and how often it is adjusted. There were rumors that they would be switching to a Haldex AWD system, perhaps to improve one or more of these specific features. Either way the AWD Porsches certainly can send more power rearwards as can most modern AWD systems from Audi to Subaru and from BMW to Mitsubishi.

Such a system that can essentially make the car into a RWD system would certainly give you some advantage in that it would exhibit less drivetrain losses than a antiquated system with a constant 50:50 F:R power split. However, 5% (roughly 20%-15%) of 480 does not come very close to the 1.4:1 or 2:1 power to weight (weight/power technically) advantage that I brought up, nowhere close.
Appreciate 0