08-20-2008, 06:15 AM   #8
IWC Doppel
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickb View Post
Lads

Wasn't trying to make the thread degenerate.

Its just I have tracked the car twice now and found the combination of feel & balance to be perfect with EDC set to sport, and felt body roll was not a factor. The car is very neutral, very willing to turn in, and if you have overdone your entry speed a touch of trailbrake gets you turning in very quickly and set up for perfect apexing or beautiful drifts (whatever your poison). All my passsengers commented on how surprised they were at the feel as stock, and that the car belied its apparent size.

I come from an E46 M3 that had KW v3's upgraded arb's, camber plates etc etc and I just urge people to try the car as stock before changing stuff. it really is very accomplished. Certainly as someone who just enjoys drifting the car, and nice balanced handling, I don't feel any need to change anything relative to my last car and certainly don't feel I could do anything suspension wise that would lower lap times.

I acknowledge that if you are a hardcore tracker you might prefer somewhat a stiffer feel, but I also believe too many people think that you can fix all handling woes with sway bars etc, when in fact it often just leads to greater understeer, and then a vicious circle of more modifications etc etc

Thats why I was just curious if the OP had driven the car in anger and what he found to be deficient about the stock handling.

Regards

Mick
Mick, well put

I did not track the car before fitting the H&R springs (Should of TBH), you will find a write up on the differences. A good friend who also has an E92M3 compared the two on his favourite route and concluded the same as me. Tony did have 3 CSL's at one time one race car in BRITCAR I think and a modded trackday car as well as a roadie !.

I trust Tony's judgement and he is fitting them to his E92 M3 after comparing the two

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=149729

My initial comments :

" 10mm spacers all round

I might try 13mm on the rear to fill out a little more.

Regarding handling & ride comfort

Rise is marginally stiffer, feels a little tighter and planted. Little or no reduction in comfort.

I had it set up by a race team and they strung the car properly, factory was out especially at the rear. corner weights a little out (not adjustable)

After fitting springs corner weights much better, they reduced the toe in at the rear from factory and put 2mm toe out on the front. Cambers adjusted where possible (reduced ride height adds a little negative camber)

Turn in much better, steering feels weightier and more acccurate
Virtually eliminates float at speed
Body roll feels much reduced (I investigated aftermarket roll bars, it now feels much better and I am not looking any more !)
EDC seems better between settings, Normal is well balanced and my every day setting

Full stiff much better, no longer fidgety and bouncy if driven on a less than perfect road. When I am pushing on I choose full stiff and enjoy the hell out of it. Before I only got on with full stiff on the smoothest of surfaces as it simply felt unsettled

Adjustable susp now works, when driving hard the slight compromise on road surface transmission and stiffness is the right trade for a little more forgiving and surface absorbing ride. Both feel taughter and sportier

Overall I would say it's significantly better than stock and it looks much better too "
Appreciate 0