View Single Post
      06-18-2008, 03:42 PM   #33
bruce.augenstein@comcast.
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 C63

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
I think that generalisation of a second a minute in lap time is a little misleading. Semi-race rubber performance various according to type of corner and entry speed, plus it gains nothing on the straights. So if a track has less corners than the next course of equal distance the improvement will also vary. The ring has a shit load of corners but not all will show the kind of improvements to expect a possible 8 second drop in lap time. I personally think a more reasonable 3 seconds might be closer to the truth with a similar improvement coming from the gearbox as well.
Without rancor, I pretty much disagree with everything you say here.

Semi-race sneakers get you slightly higher cornering speeds in every single type of corner, but where they really shine is down the straights - or any other section of track where you can mat the throttle. Reason: You come out of each corner a little harder on these tires because of slightly higher cornering speeds plus the ability to gas it earlier, and you hold that speed advantage right down to the next braking point.

The fat-second-per-minute "rule" is more a reasonable guideline, but I can say that with minor variations, it's held true for both myself and a number of other folks I know who've done a few K miles on various tracks. All this of course presumes aggressive factory rubber to start with. It also presumes performance cars, as I'd assume a stock Camry (or somesuch) may create some interesting camber numbers when subjected to such high G loads. You might need to fasten roller skates to the door handles.

Bruce
Appreciate 0