View Single Post
      06-05-2008, 11:29 AM   #102
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

My conclusion after going through the exercise is that 100lbs is not worth $15k. I have removed about ~20lbs of stuff from the trunk, and that's as far as I will go with the exception of getting some light weight wheels. I am eying the MORR alloys that Carlos is developing for the E9X M3. He is doing his first production run. Let's see how they turn out. As for the Brembos, I am not interested in them as they cost too much and free BMW maintaince on brakes for 4 years is not something I want to give up. I was happy with the braking performance on the track to begin with. Track compound pads would help, but that's minor compared to replacing the whole setup. If one is racing the car, fade could be an issue, but I am not going to race it or anything, so not worth it for me. If I keep the car for more than 4 years, I might think about a Brembo kit then when the stock rotors, which should already have been replaced under the service agreement by that point, wear out. Finally, I am considering getting a '98 E36 M3 and gutting it for the track. They can be had for ~$13k with 70k miles. '02 E46 M3s are more like $23k, but by next summer they will dip below $20k.