View Single Post
      04-09-2008, 12:00 AM   #42
scollins
Bootleggin' 'n Gunrunnin'
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3 M40i

Quote:
What is the Gas Guzzler Tax?

The Energy Tax Act of 1978 established a Gas Guzzler Tax on the sale of new model year vehicles whose fuel economy fails to meet certain statutory levels. The gas guzzler tax applies only to cars (not trucks) and is collected by the IRS.

The fuel economy figures used to determine the Gas Guzzler Tax are different from the fuel economy values provided on this web site and in the Fuel Economy Guide. The tax does not depend on your actual on-the-road mpg, which may be more or less than the EPA published value. The purpose of the Gas Guzzler Tax is to discourage the production and purchase of fuel inefficient vehicles. The amount of any applicable Gas Guzzler Tax paid by the manufacturer will be disclosed on the automobile's fuel economy label (the window sticker on new cars).
The GGT is calculated and based on projections, not just by the EPA, but by BMW as well. That is probably why the GGT is the same for both transmissions.

Anyway, if you want to read more than you ever wanted to know about GGT: http://www.epa.gov/fueleconomy/guzzler/index.htm
2013 Ducati Multistrada Touring S, Red
Appreciate 0