View Single Post
      06-28-2017, 02:47 AM   #1384
MidLifeM3
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 6MT

A ha, just found this row-your-own club, sign me up!

I must confess, although i religiously chose 6MT, that after buying my new-to-me E92 I was pretty disappointed with the clutch and shifter. I described it to a friend as like shifting a truck. And the whole first week I owned the car I couldn't get used to the clutch with its weird lack of any engagement sensation and unusual high engagement point. So I just installed an "ultimate clutch pedal" which solved the clutch feel problem. Next up is the rubbery feeling shifter, i don't see a reason why a front-engine RWD car should have a rubbery shifter, the tranny is quite close to the shifter and no stretchy/flexy cables are needed. After some research, the shifters from Ronald at Autosolutions seem to squarely address my desires (precision and tactile feel of shifter, I'm not worried about very short throws or a "smooth" shift) so I'm ordering up one of them. I do dread the installation of the shifter though, I hear stories of finicky clips in inaccessible locations and scraped knuckles, and I can already hear my wife complaining ("are you still working on that stupid car??")

2008 E92 6MT carbon roof (sunroof would burn my bald spot)
Appreciate 0