View Single Post
      02-20-2008, 06:36 AM   #41
Comet
Troll Harder
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 997 GT3, 997 4 GTS, X6M

Garage List
the plate phenomenon is all over the middle-east... (they even started in the UK over the F1 plate)
we have it in Lebanon too...
I think all those who player hate on "Dubai" (I put it in brackets cuz it's really more of an arab phenomenon... u got it in Dubai, Beirut, Jeddah...) are just jealous... they feel they are ballers.. but faced to these people they feel like they are ghetto fabulous...

I wouldn't live in Dubai... too hot, takes too long to get anywhere.. and too many white cars lol

what's the point of getting plate #5 for example?
ur known... that's X... he's got this and that and what not... yah it sounds stupid... but hey.. that's how it is...
ur phone number has to be nice, ur car has to be nice, and ur plate as well..
this is how the A-list of the middle east do it...
Hollywood A-listers go on cocaine habbits and wager their kids in cock fights down in TJ :P... we buy ridiculously over priced license plates and treat people as a commodity...

it's just the way things go down... I bet if u had the money, u'd do the same....I used to be appalled when I first moved to Beirut and I'd see such behavior... 18 yr old with a Gallardo and 2 SL65s, girls with Range Rovers to match their purse, people out-ordering the next guy in clubs for the highest bill (Crystal!)
but after a while, it becomes funny, entertaining and to a certain extent cool... it's normal for me now.. I'd love a nicer plate then what I've got now (despite it is pretty kick ass already)

who are you to tell them how to spend their money (hard earned or not)?
are you their financial advisor? no.
if they bankrupt themselves (they won't), that's their problem...

and most of it is not oil money... there just is that kind of money in these 3rd world countries....
and yes... it is either u are very rich, or very poor...
but I know a lot of people who made it from dirt poor to top players.
u got opportunity here... u just need to seize it, just like anywhere else..

but let's go on a limb and turn the tables here... people in Cali who put their houses on mortgages to afford a BMW to be seen in.. how many of u know someone like that? I'd much rather be a saudi who puts 14,000,000$ on a plate but know I got the money to do so then buy the latest BMW whilst I live in a crummy 2 1/2 and can barely make ends meet...
which is worse?
playing your part or being a wanna-be?