Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 VW JSW

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr325i View Post
1) You're right -- I don't watch any OSU games. Not because I dislike OSU, I just don't care about them.
2) FL does not deserve the SEC Champ game, far from National light. Take Tebow away and there is no offence. Honestly, I didn't think they deserved the National Champ game last year. But I did not think USC deserved either.
3) I am not sure about BC -- last week they proved they ARE a good team. But they have some tough games ahead of them. I predict they will NOT remain unbeaten.
4) USF, UCONN and so on should not be a BCS game contender at all, but it is good for their teams and programs what they did this year.

And finally, just like USC, I would not say that OSU is consistantly good -- I would say they are consistantly overrated. USC especially -- they have proven over and over that they have tough time finishing it up. But, that is the beauty of college football -- the Stanford deal, or appalachian State or... I don't believe MICH was that bad team, and I do believe they would walk all over App. State if they played them again...

With all this above, I do believe the playoffs would be the most reasonable way to go. That would give a chance to some teams (like SEC) to compete for the title. Otherwise the LSU, SC, UGA, TENN, BAMA, FL, Auburn, KT have slim chance to play in January when all of them are fairly good. But then, teams like OSU, USC have easy schedule for the most of the season and if they "survive" one or two tough teams, they are automatically in...

Not fair...
I finally agree with everything except 2 things, which I bolded...

Maybe teams like USC, OSU, Texas, Florida and some others are overrated but, they are still consistently good. No college team will ever play an intense NFL like schedule, that is the beauty of college football. SO it must be looked at in different lights. Sure they don't play more then 4 really good teams on a hard season yet it's how these teams prevail throughout the season, not just for beating certain teams. This is why point spreads are taken into consideration. If OSU, USC, Florida or whoever were squeaking by week to week playing no one's then I would have an issue, yet these teams repeatedly go out and beat any opponent by 20+ points, which is no easy feat.

By saying these teams just have to "survive" you're looking at NCAA football the wrong way. Again it's not the NFL. The NCAA is about kicking ass on a weekly basis no matter who you play. If they were just out there to "survive", we wouldn't see the same amount of scoring.

In the end not only the top teams are trying to win, you mentioned App. State, they went into that game with the intention of winning, their odds of winning were very low but the prevailed. Not because Michigan is a bad team, but they went into the game assuming the win and it bit them in the ass. That is also the great part of college football, anyone can win on any weekend, so to say their just out their to "survive" is an understatement.

Although I still agree with a playoff system. But in no way could the entire bowl system be turned into a bracket playoff system. Which still wouldn't give some of the teams you mentioned a true shot at the championship. I think a big start would to possibly get rid of the pre-season rankings. This way after week 1 they can then rank everyone using some of the pre-season ranking criteria yet also consider their play in week 1. So say OSU would have typically been ranked #1 due to the pre-season rankings, but they scrub that. So OSU goes into week 1 squeaks by a App. State 20-17. Then you take into account they lost key players to the draft, their replacements are questionable, and obviously their play in week 1 was not up to their typical standards, so they get a ranking of 12 or whatever. I do think this could level the playing field some, but the NCAA won't do this either....

It will be a uphill battle for years to come

retired 06 E90 325i

New: 09 VW Platinum Grey Jetta Sportwagen 2.0T SEL w/DSG, panoramic sunroof and Ipod adapter
Appreciate 0