View Single Post
      12-15-2013, 04:38 PM   #1
nolan12
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Now streaming music via airplay

I saw this article/DIY on the net and read up on others who have tried it, and decided to give it a go myself. My M3 doesn't have ipod connection and or the usb port in the armrest. I was looking for an easy BT solution to stream music from my phone, but wanted to try this solution as it is supposed to offer higher quality audio.

I used this website below to do it.

http://evolver.fm/2013/06/06/airplay...s-in-your-car/

Some things I did in my install to note:

- Used a dual port 2.1 Amp low profile cigarette lighter/usb adapter to fit in the center console better
- Used a rubber grommet that I had in my tool box that you can get in any auto parts store as "strain relief" where the usb cord goes into the airport express.
- Bought a refurbished airport express from Apple (cheaper)

The solution is more pricey than a similar BT solution, but I like it. I can take it into another car as long as it has an Aux-in port. I can also use it in the house and plug it into my home receiver. Pandora, spotify, and itunes radio all work fine.

Another pleasant suprise is that since my bmw doesn't have iDrive/nav, I tried using google maps as I was streaming music to the airport express and the voice instructions played over the car speakers. The music volume lowered, it said it's instructions, and then the music faded back in. The music overall sounds good, volume can be controlled either via the car's HU or through your iphone. I understand there are apps for airplay capability for those with Android phones as well.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0