Endless619
DHS
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4, 2020 Land Rover

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mylydiamy View Post
I want to thank everybody for your support and advice.

Yesterday I talked to anther lawyer (there goes another $400 but it is nothing compared to what I am about to lose ).

He told me pretty much the same things that other lawyers said. The laws are designed to make sure that both parties will continue to have equal (or the same as before the divorce) life style after divorce. So if you make $200K and your wife makes $50K (or potentially can make $50K), laws takes away $50-75K from you and gives it to your wife. This is pretty much how it works if your marriage is over 10 years. And you continue forking her money forever unless either you or she dies or she remarries (who would want to remarry and lose easy money??). The only way for me to avoid paying her alimony if I offer her large amount of money. But lawyer said she would not accept anything less than $300,000 once she consults a lawyer.

We were very close to divorce about 4 years ago. At that time she used to make 3 times more and I used to make half of what I make now. If we had divorced at that time, I could have walked away without any alimony obligation. I must have banged my had against the wall at least 50 times after I found out this the other day.

So guys, please be careful. It is impossible to realize the seriousness and consequences of divorce until you are in it. You can lose your lifetime achievements. It can turn your life upside down.

I am sure I am not the only person in this situation and will not be the last one. Knowing this helps me a bit. I am trying very hard to convince my self to accept the situation as it is, and believe that better and happier days are ahead.

One again thanks for your support.
Again this is US law. It means absolutely nothing if you move out of the country.

Another thing ,why on Earth do you men let your wife's know about this shit? Most wife's have no fricken clue what they are entitled and most cant afford an attorney anyway. Why would you tell them what type of money you make? I hinted in my marriage but with so many divorces you never know when your marriage will be compromised so I treaded cautiously.

I never shared a bank account with my ex-wife or shared any assets. She came into a marriage and left with what she came in with, nothing. She deserved nothing. I dont give two shits what some court thinks. If she would have come after my retirement or any of my money I would have remarried and moved out of the country. Problem solved.

I hate seeing guys getting screwed over by bitches.

Last edited by Endless619; 08-03-2013 at 02:32 PM..
Appreciate 0