Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.25]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSBM5 View Post
Exactly. Clearly something in the manufacturing process changed. The easiest thing for it to be is a contamination issue in the layer build, but it obviously could range from that to material manufacturing issues, etc.

Just because people's experience to date doesn't include a delamination of the tread from the carcass of course doesn't mean it *can't* happen as some here seem to imply (which you have pointed out). It is amazing how people use "experience" to then broadly claim knowledge of a tread splice failure when all the underlying variables are unknown. For example, perhaps Nitto is well aware of the issue (they have to be by now as I had detailed conversations with them last fall) even before signs started showing up in the field, and they put in place a screening of built tires with the intent to only allow the best of the worst to be sold -- who knows?

Given many here who have long experience using the NT-01 (6+ years in my case) and then all of the sudden this tread splice failure issue comes to the surface with tires built last Fall, it's obviously a process/material issue. Other tire companies would be handling this a totally different way -- Nitto seems clueless in many respects.

The net of it is that if I can open up large gaps at the splice in less than 15min of track time in 55F weather, I would never run such a tire at Daytona in 95F weather, wide open around the banking dreaming that all is fine and of course I'll feel the failure before I'm into the wall and gone... Everybody has there own tolerance for risk though.
I would think that by putting your car on the track would imply that you are very tolerant for risk. So think it is important to be aware of this issue. Hopefully we can be a part of the solution whether its buying something else or communicating with Nitto.

A splice is apparently something that can happen to any tire? So what's not to say that any tire can't suddenly delaminate? I've seen Yokohamas, Hankooks, and Michelins all have on track failures. Our cars have inherent weaknesses and who knows what may break or fail. I'm sure you've seen bolts and rods snap, nuts break off, and things bend that seem really weird.

Not saying that I would want it to happen but I've seen someone's tire come off at about 90mph at the track. Then I heard of someone's front wheel breaking apart from the hub on the front straight at 100mph+ of a 2.9 mile super speedway. How many of us bolt on aftermarket parts? Do we know the quality of them? How well they were designed? We assume.

I value safety especially in an environment where anything can happen. My point, although I did come across a little harsh you......me, but I see many 100% focused on the track where you need to divert some focus to off track. That greatly increases your options in an emergency situation...which was the point. And sounds much better being said in this manner.
2000 E36/7 Z3 Steel Blue
Appreciate 0