View Single Post
      09-07-2007, 07:36 AM   #29
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by The CSL View Post
My point was rather than save or optimize weight, ala the new M3, Audi chose to dump turbos on the V10 in the RS6 to make their gains. That's what I mean by lazy, because it weighs over 2 tonnes.
From my point of view - and maybe this is what Stahlgrau is getting at too - BMW didn't really do anything different than Audi since the new M3 is heavier than the old one while of course being more powerful, just like the RS6. Sure BMW did put some thought into where they can address weight and lightened things up in places, but that is something they've always done, just as I am sure Audi has. In other words, neither company is being any more lazy than the other, or really showing any more effort in engineering than the other. Both are great efforts. Maybe the big difference this time is BMW seems to be marketing it a little more. And of course, the CF roof is sort of the "poster-boy" for their efforts. But the car is still heavy. And I'll bet the next one is even heavier (again, while probably offering more power). Business as usual - and I am not complaining. I am just happy to be able to buy these cars now before the fuel regs really get out of control.
Appreciate 0