03-05-2013, 05:18 AM   #38
paradocs98
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Plutonium View Post
Looks fantastic, but no 6MT, electric steering, and no more Metzger block.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SROC5 View Post
Nice, I'm sure the PDK will be amazing of course with the 475hp to boot! But for less money, better steering feel, and a MT, I'd rather get the 997 GT3 variant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by signes View Post
Rear wheel steering? Ought to be interesting. No question this will be a faster car than the 997 GT3 but can wait to hear about how much charisma it will give up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd598 View Post
Why no more manual? The last car I expected to see that happen to was the gt3
Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
Blame the Nissan GTR. Porsche is now starting to chase performance numbers firstly, and doesn't ultimately care what the car feels like.

Quite honestly, why would you now pick one of these over a 458 Italia?

After watching the Evo interview with Andreas P., I'm sad. The car looks great, spins to 9000rpm, and is more modern. The PDK is the way of the future, and that's borne out on racetracks in most major pro racing classes. But I think Jethro Bovingdon hit the nail on the head when he asked, "Are you in a sense 'dumbing down' the GT3, seeking a wider audience" and increased sales? Apparently so--Andreas P. equivocates a bit and says, "This will be a better daily driver, more useful every day." That's what the Carrera S is for. Preserve this one for the enthusiasts.

It's very similar to what's happening at BMW M. Andreas P. says, in defense of this new car no longer being based on the proven Metzger GT1 engine, "It is DFI, but we have made it to have an uneven, lumpy idle" to suggest raciness. This is the same as BMW going to a noise-muffled TT V8 for the new M5, and then playing an artificial engine soundtrack through the car's speakers for an immersive, "authentic" racy engine sound. One can only expect the new M3 to be the same.

Rear-wheel steering? Many manufacturers have tried it in the past, with varied success. The GTR comparison is valid. Clearly they are using this because the new car is bigger, and likely felt bigger in a negative way until they added the rear steering.

20" wheels? Marketing BS. They're chasing trends. If this car were designed for enthusiasts who regularly hit the track, Porsche would have stopped at 19" wheels.

Well, hopefully a lot of wealthy people who just like to pose around town will snap this new one up, and then maybe prices for the 997.2 GT3 on the used market will come down to the reach of us mortals. So, I guess I'm happy.