View Single Post
      02-11-2013, 12:40 AM   #18
1fastdoc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 R8

Quote:
Originally Posted by e1000 View Post
DCT only downshifts in S (manual) mode to prevent the car from stalling or when you come to a complete stop it will drop it down to 1st. Otherwise, there is a chance in S mode you will bog your engine quite badly if you're slowing down but don't come to a complete stop and need to accelerate again.
Incorrect.

From your owner's manual:
Quote:
Sequential Mode
Shortly before the vehicle slows down to below the minimum speed of the gear currently engaged, the transmission automatically shifts down without requiring your intervention.
On feature of the DCT, even in S mode is to control downshifts appropriately. It does so before the engine will bog from trying to work against a taller gear. I only brought it up because I've noticed lately that sometimes it will only drop to 3rd as opposed to 2nd, which I prefer. Might have something to do with me taking turns at 20mph though.

Also, if you drive this way you'll discover that it doesn't simply drop a gear to avoid bog. It will skip gears and select the appropriate gear. Nearly all of my driving is city and as I mentioned before, it's only happened a few times as of late and I suspect the adaptive capability has something to do with it.
Appreciate 0