svensk
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3PO
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdefalco25 View Post
Ok, sorry for the noob question. I just picked up a 2008 e92 M3. I noticed after my 1100 mile drive home the oil did go down some. What I'm trying to figure out is whether the oil light comes on when you are a quart low or should I add more oil when I notice the gauge is getting lower? And when the light comes on is it just a quart low or do you need to add a minimum of one quart?

Again, sorry, I have a lot to learn. Going from a Subaru to this while both love oil are two completely different beast.

Thanks!
If you searched, you'd find the answer but here it is anyway. The light will come on and tell you to add one quart. Don't do that. You will likely overfill it. Add a 1/4 or 1/2 a quart and drive it around and let it remeasure. If it says it's fine, you're good to go. It it still tells you to add more, add another 1/4.

The gauge is not very accurate so don't rely on it as a true measurement. One time it might say half, the next time it might say full. If you fill it based on the gauge, you might overfill it. Wait till the light goes on and add enough to make the light go off.
I went to BMW Encinitas yesterday and my service advisor gave me a quart of engine oil to add. He told me the exact same thing as you. Add half and see it it is happy. If not add the other half and you should be good.
Appreciate 0