View Single Post
      07-11-2012, 08:32 AM   #1
paradocs98
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Few laps of Watkins Glen

Just got back from a two-day event at Watkins Glen with SCDA yesterday. It's my third time at the Glen, but each time I marvel at what an amazing place it is. It's one of the most historically significant North American road courses, it's fast and flowing, and it's in a beautiful setting in New York's Finger Lakes region, not too far from Cornell University/Ithaca.

The weather was great--80s and sunny. My previous times at the Glen have been in the spring and fall, when rain/fog and temps in the 40s are not uncommon. It was definitely the right call to hit the track in July this year.

SCDA, as usual, was a friendly, well-run group, with a good mix of cars. A couple of other E9X M3s, a few stripped-out E36 and E46 M3s, two '70s Datsun 510 race cars!, numerous Z06s, a few GTRs, a fast Golf R32, a few Lotuses, 911s of various types, and three retired NASCAR-type racers--two stock cars and an ARCA truck.

I ran in Intermediate the first day. Even though I've been running solo for a while, I ran across a guy I know from prior events who was instructing. He offered to ride with me for a couple of sessions--fantastic idea. He gave me some invaluable suggestions and tips for an improved line at the Glen. He was very impressed with the abilities of the StopTech ST60/ST40 setup with Pagid RS29s. I also rode with him for one of his sessions. He has a 135i that he has modified. The engine is basically stock, but he has stripped about 400lbs of weight out of the car. The interior is gutted, he has a half-cage, race seats and harnesses, coilovers, and a BBK on the front. He also removed and blanked out the sunroof, changed the hood to carbon fiber, and replaced the front fenders with a wide-body kit so he can run a 275/35-18 Nitto NT01 square setup. Very fast and fun car to ride in.

I bumped up to Advanced the second day and did well, but the speed of some of the other cars was pretty insane. There were two GT3s that were in various stages of race prep. One had the usual cage and suspension upgrades, but the other one started as a stock GT3RS and now looks like an ALMS GT car. The closing speeds were amazing as he rocketed up behind me. In the video at about 1:40 you can see him pass me as we come out of the toe of the boot. It was a bit nerve-wracking. I was coming up fast on the red Corvette as we approached the toe, while the GT3RS was coming up fast on me. There's obviously no passing in the turn, so as soon as we came out of the toe, the Corvette pointed me by and then I immediately pointed the 911 by. We were basically three-wide and as he passes you can see him stick his hand out the window--not sure if he was saying thanks or giving me the two-finger salute... In an earlier session that day he took a late pass on me as we approached the bus stop at 125+mph--he was following a GTR as they came up behind me. I gave the GTR the point-by, but there wasn't enough room for the GT3RS to make the pass as well as we came into the bus stop, so I didn't point him by yet. Nevertheless, he dive-bombed me on the inside. I'm glad I was aware that he was in my mirrors one second, and then had disappeared into my blind spot the next, because otherwise I would have swept to the right and collected him as we came into the bus stop.

Anyway, enjoy. Comments welcome.

Last edited by paradocs98; 07-11-2012 at 08:40 AM..
Appreciate 0