03-19-2012, 01:16 AM   #446
esquire
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Dakar Yellow M3, 2018 M5

Modification #20 - KW Clubsports

KW Clubsport Coilovers

Like a lot of the people on this forum, I wanted to modify my suspension, not only for the aesthetic benefits, but also for the performance benefits. Even though my ZCP suspension was almost half an inch lower than its non-ZCP counterparts, the wheel gap in my opinion was still pretty large - especially in the front. There were a lot of competing interests that factored into my decision - ride quality, "bounciness", handling improvement, adjustability/customizability, keeping/losing EDC, and of course cost. Initially i toyed with the idea of going with the RDsport springs - I loved the ride height, and of course I would get to keep my EDC, and it was relatively inexpensive. But it didn't take much convincing to sway me over to a clubsport coilover set up - their high degree of customizability, their vastly improved handling, and the fact that they weren't plagued by the bouciness of springs more than made up for the large difference in price and the fact that I would be losing my EDC.

Well, I waited patiently for the Ohlin clubsport set up - more than a year, actually. But there's only so long you can chase after a ghost. Instead, I decided to pull the trigger on KW Clubsports.

Thoughts & Impressions -
Obvious points aside, the clubsports offer a spectacular performance and handling improvement over the ZCP suspension. The car rides like its on nails now. A feeling of absolute sure-footedness and security now pervades. The difference is drastic and instantly noticeable.

But what surprised me most was the ride comfort. Truth be told, I had mentally prepared myself for a painfully firm ride, something bordering on impractical. And while the ride is definitely firmer than with EDC set to comfort, it was surprisingly practical and surprisingly comfortable. I would liken the ride now to something between "normal" and "sport"on EDC. Its firm, and you feel the road bumps, no doubt, but its very liveable - at least to me. (I'm sure there might be some family men out there, with children, who will disagree with me on how 'liveable' the ride is).

Settings -
For those curious about my settings: I initially started with the factory recommended settings, but then after finding that a little bit too stiff, I decided to try, forum member, JAJ's recommended settings. (See HERE). His setting, in my opinion, were on-point, and more than liveable for day to day driving, without any performance sacrifice, (in fact JAJ is of the opinion that his performance has improved under these settings). The settings are as follows:

Compression - exactly half-way between full-hard and full-soft
Rebound - 11 clicks from full-hard.

If anyone has any setting recommendations, or want to share their experiences with differing settings, I'd love to hear them.

Finally -
A major thank you to Long Tran and LTBMW for all their hard-work and customer service in installing my clubsports on the day of their huge meet. LTBMW definitely knows suspension, and the art of perfecting ride-stance.

All that remains now is a performance alignment to get my camber right (the front wheels have a significant amount of camber now as a result of the drop). If anyone has a recommendation for a good performance alignment shop in Orange County, California, please let me know.

THE INSTALL

Name:  IMG_2176.jpg
Views: 2616
Size:  163.5 KB

Name:  IMG_2181.jpg
Views: 2537
Size:  187.9 KB

Name:  IMG_2188.jpg
Views: 2588
Size:  201.8 KB

Name:  IMG_2178.jpg
Views: 2529
Size:  205.2 KB

Name:  IMG_2192.jpg
Views: 2550
Size:  140.8 KB

Name:  IMG_2183.jpg
Views: 2522
Size:  112.0 KB

Name:  IMG_2191.jpg
Views: 2480
Size:  70.9 KB
Bump Dial

Name:  IMG_2198.jpg
Views: 2519
Size:  182.4 KB
Clubsport Coilover

Name:  IMG_2199.jpg
Views: 2578
Size:  212.2 KB
Clubsports side-by-side with OEM shocks & springs

Name:  IMG_2219.jpg
Views: 2499
Size:  134.5 KB

Name:  IMG_2216.jpg
Views: 2484
Size:  117.0 KB

Name:  IMG_2217.jpg
Views: 2494
Size:  118.0 KB

BEFORE & AFTER SHOTS

BEFORE

Name:  IMG_2181.jpg
Views: 2537
Size:  187.9 KB
AFTER

Name:  IMG_2204.jpg
Views: 2484
Size:  170.4 KB

REAR WHEEL - BEFORE

REAR WHEEL- AFTER
Name:  IMG_2233.jpg
Views: 2452
Size:  138.3 KB

FRONT WHEEL- BEFORE

FRONT WHEEL - AFTER
Name:  IMG_2236.jpg
Views: 2511
Size:  150.6 KB

STANCE - BEFORE

Name:  IMG_2173.jpg
Views: 2597
Size:  193.0 KB

STANCE - AFTER

Name:  IMG_2224.jpg
Views: 3396
Size:  291.6 KB

Name:  IMG_2226.jpg
Views: 2474
Size:  324.4 KB

Name:  IMG_2232.jpg
Views: 7945
Size:  237.1 KB

Name:  IMG_2229.jpg
Views: 2840
Size:  235.0 KB

Hope you guys like. I'll be updating the thread with higher quality pics when I get a chance to put the car in front of a real photographer. Again, I invite everyone's suggestions regarding stance, rebound and compression settings, as well as spacers and fitment.... as well as good shops in the orange county area for peformance alignment.

- esquire

[ESS VT2-625] [Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust] [KW Clubsports] [OSS Angel Eyes] [Revinora r-CRT Lip]
[Vorsteiner Boot] [Challenge Race Diffuser] [See the Build Thread HERE]

Last edited by esquire; 03-19-2012 at 01:30 AM..
Appreciate 0