02-06-2012, 09:32 AM   #10
paradocs98
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbot View Post
...logic dictates you need to do at least a half cage and a racing bucket to provide roll support and a solid foundation for the harnesses to work from.
Thanks for so much info. I suspect you're right. I'm probably hoping for too much in making the E90 a do-everything car. Ideally, I'd have a dedicated track car and this would all be a non-issue. But we only have a 2-car garage and I doubt the neighbors would like looking at a trailer and racecar sitting in our driveway.

I could theoretically look for a used GT3 to be a better daily-driver/track car compromise in terms of having a half-cage already in place, but then I would have no ability to use the car for getting the kids around, and winters would be impossible.

I feel like I've already invested enough in my car (StopTech brakes, suspension upgrade, dedicated track wheels) that I'd hate to abandon it and head in a different direction this early. But as you point out, safety is the main consideration.

I have the CG-lock and it helps somewhat, but I still find myself sliding a bit in the seat--a couple of times per lap I'm wiggling around to recenter myself. So maybe just doing a dedicated race seat like a Recaro or Racetech in conjunction with the CG-lock and stock belts would be the answer? At least for now it would hopefully keep me more planted in the seat. I assume I would need to undo the stock belt's floor mount and thread the belt through the side belt guide on the new seat, then reattach it to the floor mount.
Appreciate 0