07-29-2011, 05:24 PM   #16
Jblack4083
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 ///M3 JB/CB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wall$treet View Post
Dude the "i" series is their fuel economy-performance line. This is years old news. This was posted atleast a year or more ago. This line is supposedly their answer to fuel efficiency while still maintaining a performance oriented car.

These are in no way supposed to compete with any dedicated performance car.

Marketing is doing their job though-the whole point is to build a car that does NOT look like a prius or hybrid-so people still want to by them just for the sake of their looks and decent performance.
You obviously did not get the point of my post. That's my fault as I should have explained it better...

The i8 is obviously not a supercar and we know it has existed for a long time. My point is that, with our knowledge of the i8, we also know BMW has a platform that can support a rear mounted engine (mid-engine?). My thought is that this could eventually spawn a rear engined "supercar" based on this same platform. We know BMW is an opportunistic company and maybe they'll see the opportunity and build upon this platform with a more powerful engine.

Although SCOTT26 said there would be no M version of the i8, its important to understand that I'm not suggesting that. What i AM suggesting is that BMW might take some cues used to build the i8 and adapt it to a more powerful road going car... Although the i8 is its own unique car and the i division is its own separate entity, that doesnt mean the companies under BMW's umbrella dont share resources. I wouldn't be surprised if BMW ///M were to take some of the technology and adapt it for its own needs... even if that means only retaining 10% of the i8's characteristics.
Appreciate 0