View Single Post
      08-04-2008, 04:00 PM   #21
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 Jerez DCT M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
Agreed but the M-Division's heritage is in N/A power units, though compared to the like of Porsche and Audi, BMW are not the company which springs to mind when you say to word 'turbo'.

Their efforts with the 335i are without a doubt one of the best applications of the technology, equal to anything that Audi have done prior to the mighty RS6 v10 unit and the latest 997turbo. But to be perfectly honest a 3.0L bi-turbo producing 300hp is not exactly stretching the envelope when you think Audi have a 2.0L single turbo unit producing 270hp and both the EVO and Imperza comfortable produce well in excess of 300hp. To put it in perspective, to match the TT/S is produce per litre, the 335i should be pushing 405hp. See where I am coming from.

What BMW went for with the 335i engine was the easy route, large capacity, two turbos and modest output per litre. One would expect very little lag, one would expect a large capacity engine feel, but for BMW to take the FI route for the next M3/5/6 would require a lot more thought than has been done here. The capacity will have to reduce compared to the previous engines and the desired output would need to be closer to 140hp/L to maintain the desired weight including turbo/piping etc and yet still delivery the feel of a large capacity engine and still crave revs, this is when BMW's engineering skill will be tested, far more than anything they have done in the past.

Because this time it's their reputation on the line.
I don't see where you are coming from because the answer is obvious as to why the 335 is not putting out more power. It clearly is capable of it, as is the v8 twin turbo.

When talking about power per liter, BMW has demonstrated they are capable of being at the head of the game.

The comment that their reputation is on the line this time does not make any sense to me. The reputation of any quality company is on the line with every product and service they offer throughout their history, not just at certain times to certain individuals.
Appreciate 0