View Single Post
      03-06-2013, 12:55 AM   #20
listed5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 e93 M3 DCT black/bamboo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Lowboy View Post
Out of those cars I see you in an ISF just based off of your reasoning. The M5 and M6 are going to have much higher maint costs than the M3, and the RS4 is even older with just as high cost to maintain.
I would completely agree with this statement if only the ISF had folding rear seats, a better audio system, and weren't due for a re-design in 2014 (resale will probably plummet). BMW's logic 7 has very good performance... I also prefer a manual trans to be fully honest (hence the M5 and RS4).

Quote:
Originally Posted by toan414 View Post
Did you guys test drive the car slightly outside if the city? Jumping instantly into an M3 from a 335, you will notice the torque. But through refinement and level of foot comfort, that feeling will go away once you are used to the DCT. A prius can beat me at a light when I am not in a rush, in a rush, I have gunned it and saw that I was 15+ cars ahead of the crowd when the light turned green. I sat in a friend's 335 not too long ago and remember just how much the car pick up and miss that moment, but then that was it. I remembered everything else about the car. I was unlucky and was one of the reason why the 335i was recalled for fuel injectors. I had 12 injectors replaced under warranty.

I would say another drive in the M3 through better roads would show where it outshine a regular 3 series. Don't know where in Frederick you are, but my friend used to live behind the Home Depot on Rt 40. Even my car was high profiled there, I was followed by two of Fredrick's finest til I took the 70 exit out of the city. But driving Rt 40 westward into the hills with an M3 and it will wow you. A mix of highway and country roads is where an M3 should be.
The specific neighborhood (The Manor) you're talking about is pretty decent, but that is the roughest side of town. The police probably assumed you were selling/buying drugs, lost, or intoxicated. Haha. I'm sure the M3 is a beast on roads of that sort, but my travel is 95% highway... SO FAR (knock on wood), I haven't had any of the classic n54 issues, so I still enjoy the car quite a bit. This is a frequent consideration of mine though...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Baron View Post
Nice meeting you yesterday Chris! If you want to drive the car again, just let me know. I'm in town every other week.
Sounds great Luc, I really appreciate your hospitality! Give me a shout the next time you make the trek to Summit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by huyner328 View Post
I do miss the torque but overall, the M feels so much more refined (steering, handling, N/A satisfaction). E60 M5 tranny never did it for me... DCT is truly a work of art and makes the driving experience so much better. My friend recently got meth installed on 335 so we traded for a few days to play... he didn't wanna give the M back.
I can understand all of this! The DCT is everything anyone could ask of a transmission, while the steering and handling feel exactly as a performance car should. M3 is undoubtedly the better car, the price difference combined with my intended purpose just don't make sense (stupid logical side).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdosu View Post
OP, I think you should test drive an actual E93 DCT (the car that you want). A lot of ppl here have E90s, E92s, 6MTs...etc.

I had a good one hour test drive with a E93 DCT before. I can tell you that car is a bit different than a E90 6MT in many tangible aspects.
For the better or worse? After driving an e92 DCT, I can only imagine the e93 would feel even slower given the additional weight. Still hard to deny the appeal of a convertible in those good weather months.
Appreciate 0