11-10-2008, 11:15 AM   #38
ace996
NASA/PDA Instructor
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticky View Post
The man above has no idea about forced induction used in racing.

Sticky,

My answer is one from the soul...you don't get it, that's fine...move on. The post is in regards to nitrous, not factory forced induction. Of all the cars you wrote about in the above post...all of them factory cars...how many have nitrous? My last track car was an STI...I love boost, even had a sweet custom (installed myself) methanol-injection system that gave me serious gains with a custom tune...and yes, meth was used in WRC and F1 until it was outlawed. Nitrous has never been used by any of those cars you list above...not one.

Your last post seems to drift from the topic at hand...nitrous...and enters the discussion of FI. That is not being argued here...the use of nitrous, and how I, in my personal opinion, don't believe it's appropriate for the M3, was what I posted...not a dig on FI. As I would say it's not appropriate for the Vette, GT3, Viper, or any other car that's roots are in roadcourse racing. Those who lean to street-racing or strip-racing would disagree...that's their right...

Not to turn the tide and make an attack, I've no interest in butting heads with you any longer, but how much time do you have under your belt on a roadcourse? Be it bike, other cars, or your M3? I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that it's not much...

But since you did bring up the boost...
I also had a magnacharged Z06...phenomenal car that was brutal when called upon and mellow when driven that way. On the track, it overheated...shredded belts...never quite felt comfortable since it wasn't originally designed that way but it would function as street car without issue and was brilliant. Factory boosted cars have a way of dealing with their boost in a more elegant way than those that weren't boosted OEM...espeially onthe track. Go talk to the "after-boosted" guys who added turbos or superchargers during a track day and see how their day is going...more times than not, they're not having fun, usually dealing with something that's broken or melted or fragged. Purpose built race cars, like the ones you posted, sure, they kill it on the roadcourse...but they were designed that way and have the factory working tirelessly to keep those cars together and winning.

So, cold medicine making me sway a bit off topic but I think I've explained my stance...worth about as much as a spoonful of dirt to most. I do not believe in nitrous on the M3...it's a soul thing/track legality thing..., I do not think that boosting the M3 would be a great idea for those who track them, either. Just because you can do something, doesn't make it a good idea.
That is my opinion, you dont have to like it...

Be good,
TomK

Last edited by ace996; 11-10-2008 at 12:51 PM..
Appreciate 0