View Single Post
      07-29-2010, 02:10 PM   #87
srt8/bmw
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 335xi coupe-Space Gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
The CTS sedan was built to compete with the 5 series and E class Benz, and indeed the CTS-V was compared with the E63 and M5. Thus your expectation that the Coupe was made to go head to head against the M6. Problem is, the M6 sort of fell off everybody's radar and the price disparity is also huge - so they won't get compared.

Instead, pricing puts in square in the M3's bracket. There is also the matter of packaging - while the sedan was indeed 1 size larger than the 3 series inside, the coupe isn't, the packaging is pretty bad. So everyone looking at it immediately assumes it's a 3 series coupe competitor.

Also be aware that the CTS-V doesn't trounce the M3 on track. The Ring times are very close (M3 ZCP supposedly does 8 min flat) and other track times in the US are also close (with the Caddy being faster on some tracks and slower on others).

So performance wise, the only category where the Caddy trounces the M3 indisputably is acceleration - what else is new? The M3 has won comparisons in the past despite HP deficits...

Because the interior is cramped - the M3 has a better rear seat as well as ingress.

Since they didn't publish Ring times, let's wait and see (and see my comments above).

Clunky but lightning fast is better than super slow. But I've driven the DCT and it's not clunky by any stretch of the imagination.

I've only seen times from the pros in the Caddy (not in the M3), and they beat some kid in an M3. All the other CTS-V times by regular Joe's were worse than the kid in the M3.

Kind of makes you wonder what the M3 times would have been with an unbiased pro at the wheel.

I guess I will say it another way. If I were shopping for a world class sports coupe, I would find it rather hard to pick something over the M3. Just my bias. The Caddy, although faster..just doesn't fit into my personal view of this category..its just too big and heavy. It would be like trying to compare it to my 335.

when looking at a world class sports sedan, which I basically do continually, the V sedan was the easy choice for me. Fastest in every way--track or line, nicest looking, best value. As far as I am concerned, it still sits atop that lofty place...likely until the next M5 is launched.

I don't have a link to that..I am going by memory--as is the person I am responding to who has no link. I remember that the guy in the M3 was the fastest on day one--of all cars. On day two his times were bested by several ams and at least one pro.
I have yet to see a published, authoritiative track/lap comparison where an M3 beat a V. Until I do--don't think its out there.

there is little factual dispute which car is faster...please don't try to go there. If your talking coupe's you don't have to convince me which is the better overall car....I would take the M.

as for the tranny--so you saying they are wrong about the M3 tranny, because you drove it, but they are right about the V tranny?? Nice... OK..I will tell you that they are partially right-- it is not slow by any means. But it is "indecisive" in the higher gears..