View Single Post
      01-27-2010, 10:03 PM   #1
L-Altos
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Oil change; wrong oil (5W30)

So I take my E90 in the other day for the “Increased Emissions/Reduce Power” CEL, and while Im there my SA says I can get some additional work done. He mentions that I need the micro filter and brake fluid changed soon, so I ask if I could get a “low mileage” oil change. He says “Absolutely” and puts its in the order.

So. all is well, and the car is ready the next day. I pick it up, drive it home, and then look over the invoice during dinner. Listed under the “Complete low mileage oil change” section is "Motor Oil SAE 5W30." I’m a bit shocked by this, but its done so now I have to decide how bad this is. I only drove 50 miles, and never went above 5K ( its cold and snowing here).

I plan to leave it in the garage and have 10w60 put in this weekend, but now I’m concerned about getting all of the 5w30 out.

After they change the oil (and hopefully the filter) I plan to drive it for a few hundred miles and then change it again. From my internet search, I cant determine if this is really a big issue or not. I see things like” Don’t mix viscosities”, etc.
Although the dealer will correct the problem, I don’t think they will take the time to drain all of the 5W30 out, which is why I want to change it again in a few weeks.

So am I being to anal about this? It may seem like a dumb concern on my part, but Id rather ask the question and look dumb, than not ask the question and feel dumb if something happens.
Appreciate 0