View Single Post
      10-17-2011, 08:29 PM   #16
elh0102
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
I am sure ABS brakes annoyed those same enthusiasts 25 years ago, that DCT is annoying them now (can't buy the new M5 with a 6MT; just 7DCT), and that the possibility of turbos are annoying them now. Many of the people who go to the track want to get around it as fast as possible, and cars with turbos and AWD and traction controls and ABS and DCT may be the fastest.

You could restore an old 2002 for a real driver's experience.
I agree, DCT and ABS are proven technologies that benefit any driver on street or track. Traction control is a different matter, at least in any form I have driven on most production street cars. The one exception that I might consider neutral, is the ZO6 and, I assume the ZR1. But the M3 version is going to be slower for any driver of modest or greater skill. I guess the issue is fear of liability, so the makers include a traction control system that is protective to the point of intrusion. I have to congratulate Chevy for designing a great system. Its least intrusive "competition" mode will rarely get in the way, but it can be nice to have if the torque gets the better of you. And I probably misstated it slightly. I think, in that mode TC is shut off, and stability control is dialed down, but still on.
Appreciate 0