View Single Post
      10-17-2011, 09:36 AM   #7
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by abehwang View Post
Torque comes in slowly and gradually with a turbo engine? I thought it was more difficult to manage/fluctuate the power on turboed cars. I agree that the power is there but the direct control of that power is not consistent throughout the powerband.
No, I wrote that maybe people though a high revving naturally aspirated engine was important to an M car so torque would come in gradually and slowly and be more manageable.

With good traction control, you can just put your foot down with the turbo engine and electronics will take care of the rest. Just like with a DCT shifting for you. Just like with ABS braking for you.

I have had a 463 rwhp/368 lb rwtq centrifugal supercharged E36 M3, a 521 rwhp/517 lb rwtq turbocharged E36 M3, and a stock naturally aspirated E90 M3. The turbo is by far the most entertaining, at least to me.

I won't try for a minute to defend the current M3 against the future turbo version. I am sure the next generation turbo M3 will be a lot of fun and am confident it will be faster in a straight line and around a racetrack. Each successive generation M3 thus far has been faster and better handling.
Appreciate 0