05-21-2008, 02:56 PM   #29
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Footie: We have already been through the issue (ad infinitum) of whether or not S4,S5 and S6 and the jerk they provide on shift improves acceleration. All you have to do is notice the wheel spin/chirps on shifts due to the jerk and you can conclude immediately and clearly that these modes and the jerk is faster then without them. Sure maybe not .5 s faster to 60 or 100 but it will be noticeable and measureable. S3 and lower Drivelogic modes just do not provide jerk nor chirp on shift at large throttle. Bruce A. agreed with this on a technical and experiential basis as well. YOU ARE WRONG HERE but just won't admit it. JERK = CHIRP = BETTER acceleration.
swamp,

I'm only pulling your chain because I know I can get the desired reaction.

Childish I know but fun all the same.

I also agree the lag is there no matter which throttle setting you pick, some of it has to do with the gearbox but not all. The manual also needs a good poke of throttle to get off the line and the M-DCT is probably increasing this effect.

P.S.

My comments about wanting to get a true measurement of whether the jerk is improvement thing is out of personal interest, nothing more. One thing I would really like to know is what the actual shift times between each of the settings and how they differ some either the (VAG)DSG or (GTR)DCT.

Surely there is nothing wrong with wanting to understand the differences between the settings and how the surge is actually affecting the performance or are the kind of man that just goes on faith when ever it suits.
Appreciate 0